YouTube Space LA is offering 360 filmmakers and content creators the chance to take part in the VR Creator Lab. The program includes advanced education from leading VR instructors, 1-to-1 mentorship, and $30K – $40K for production. Apply now!
Last week, YouTube announced the VR Creator Lab, which VRScout is running in with our friends at VR Playhouse. Together, we’ll provide resources, technical insight, and opportunities for network growth within the VR industry. Our goal is to help YouTube creators grow their knowledge of VR production workflows and walk away with a refined approach to producing immersive content both during and after the lab.
Are you interested? Great! We’re looking for applicants who want to take their VR projects to the next level. Once the Creator Lab kicks off with a 3-day “boot camp” on August 7-9 at YouTube Space LA, each creator will be tasked to produce at least four original VR videos, and one behind-the-scenes video. These videos can either be serialized (episodes of the same narrative), or four standalone pieces. The VR Creator Lab will provide the funding, cameras, audio gear, and mentorship throughout the program.
Applications close on Wednesday, June 21st, so if you think you qualify, submit here.
If you’re interested in participating in the lab, you must meet the following criteria:
- You have produced and published at least two 360° videos to your channel
- You have a YouTube channel with at least 10,000 subscribers (or 1,000 subscribers if registered in the YouTube Nonprofit Program)
- You have no current copyright or Terms of Service strikes on your qualifying channel(s)
- You’ve completed an “Unlock the Space“ orientation (this can be done after acceptance to the Lab, if not already completed)
- You are at least 18 years old
- Your channel is not for a consumer brand
|June 21, 2017||Application window closes|
|Week of July 1||Lab participants are accepted and notified|
|August 7-9||Boot Camp at YouTube Space LA|
|August 28||Cohort gathering 1|
|September 11||Cohort gathering 2|
|September 25||Cohort gathering 3 + video 1 publication deadline|
|October 9||Cohort gathering 4|
|October 23||Cohort gathering 5|
|November 6||Cohort gathering 6|
|December 11||Video publication deadline|
|December TBD||Screening party|
Other Relevant Information
- Up to three team members per channel may participate in the program. All potential team members should be listed in the application.
- Because of the significant financial commitment YouTube is making to each creator, we ask that each channel commit to attending all programming. Exceptions can be made for illnesses or other emergencies.
- While this program is open to any creator regardless of their home location, we expect everyone to get themselves to each gathering at YouTube Space LA.
- Our goal is for every dollar to be “put on screen.” If you need to retain a portion of your funds to pay yourself, you can do so so long as it’s in service of realizing the vision of the project(s) with which you applied to the Lab.
- You are permitted to provide or secure additional funds for your projects.
- Program videos can be promoted on other social media platforms, but must be published only on YouTube for the first year. Beyond that window, you may additionally publish to other platforms.
How to Apply
There is a two-step application process to apply for the VR Creator Lab:
- Submit this application.
- Email us a written proposal for the four VR videos you’ll produce in the Lab. You’ll want to paint us a picture of the content you’re envisioning, why it’s ambitious and innovative, and why you can execute it with the given budget. We’ll narrow down the pool of applicants to a field of finalists who we will interview in person as a second round. Send proposals to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the subject, “VR Creator Lab Proposal for [Channel Name]” in your email.
Applications won’t be considered complete without both the form and the emailed proposals. Both items are due by June 21, 2017. Good luck!