VR athletes compete in a variety of physically challenging games for the chance to win real-world cash.
After the success of the VR Winter Games earlier this year—during which over 10,000 VR athletes battled it out in various games such as Blade and Sorcery, Creed: Rise to Glory, Hyper Dash, In Da Hoop!, and many others—the Virtual Athletics League (VAL) is now launching the VR Summer Games, which promises even more competitive VR action for gamers to enjoy.
Running now until September 12th, the VR Summer Games, which boasts over $20,000 in prizes, is a multi-studio collaboration composed of multiple VR tournaments, speaker and panel discussions featuring both athletes and developers, sneak peeks at new games, and so much more.
VR athletes will participate in games such as Gym Masters, Swarm, VR Skater, Synth Riders, Walkabout Golf VR, as well as several games that were included as part of the Winter Games. The complete list of games can be found here. In addition to bragging rights, the following prize money is also up for grabs:
- 1st Place: $250
- 2nd Place: $150
- 3rd Place: $50
- 4th Place: $50
Competing participants are required to submit their scores along with a screenshot via the official online portal. Those interested in watching the action from the sidelines can visit the VAL website from September 6th to the 11th. to catch live tournaments.
Of course, like all competitive events of this caliber, there are some rules each player must adhere to.
*NOTE: Unfortunately registration is closed at this point since the games started on August 20th.*
GENERAL GAME DETAILS
- Each athlete will complete in three challenges with the goal of earning the highest scores.
- The challenges will be the following:
- Challenge 1: Rock Fighter. Punch soda cans and dodge pizza boxes coming out of a Mustang’s boot.
- Challenge 2. Condorbot Attack. Charge energy balls by doing jumping jacks to destroy Condor’s drones.
- Challenge 3. Ball to the Wall. Pull the lever to hit the rocks on the wall with the matching color ball.
- Live scores and ranking might be provided in-game (TBD)
- Players will receive a score after completing each challenge.
- The scores of each challenge will be combined.
- The player with the most total combined points will be declared the winner.
- Live in-game leaderboard/ranking (TBD). This means players must be ready to keep track of their progress.
- All contestants must submit their scores through this link along with an email and a validating screenshot of their score.
- After all scores have been submitted and tallied, winners will be announced at the end of September (exact date TBD).
- Players must download the exclusive Gym Masters x VAL app on *platforms TBD. NOT THE APPLAB DEMO.
- Players must submit their score, email, and a screenshot of their total score to this link.
- Cheating is not tolerated and will result in disqualification.
- An individual can only win one of the five prizes.
- Winners will be notified via email.
The VR Summer Games started on August 20th and runs through September 12th.
To learn more about the VR Summer Games and the Virtual Athletics League, check out their website by clicking here.
Feature Image Credit Virtual Athletics League