The grand prize winner will walk away with $20,000 USD.
Over the course of four months (August 3rd to November 9th), applicants from nine different countries submitted a total of 145 works (59 in AR and 86 in VR) to the 2020 NEWVIEW Awards. This week event organizers The 2020 NEWVIEW Awards has listed their 25 finalists for immersive technology innovation; seven in AR and the remaining 18 in VR.
For those of you out of the loop, NEWVIEW is a project community aimed at exploring innovative ways to engage in learning experiences through a virtual lens. This year applicants were asked to focus around the idea of “Design Your Ultra Experience”.
As part of this year’s requirements, creators had to use Styly to build out their AR and VR experiences. If you are not familiar with Styly, it’s a free creative platform that allows you to build out immersive experiences without having to deal with programming tasks. Styly even distributes your work so it can be accessed via the web or a headset. All you need is your imagination.
You can check out each finalist and their work below:
- Dandelion – Ryo Takegawa from xorium
- Gabber AR for Styly – JACKSON kaki
- nwe 2021 SPRING SUMMER WOMEN’S FASHION SHOW – Augmented Fashion Research
- The Hidden World – kidach1
- Time flies like an arrow – mittsu32
- World Collider – Tomo Kihara
- AR to kill your ex-boyfriend – Yuka Kamakura
- Birds of a Scape – toidcoder
- Contemporary – TakashiKikaku
- DEATH ETUDE – mizkun
- Display XR – Tomoro Hanzawa
- Fumika / Piano motion capture system – Fumika
- gaze on me – Miki Nigo
- Gravitate – Ami konuma
- Inside and Outside, Virtual – JACKSON kaki
- Nether World – Mayuka Otsuki
- New reality – my studio – Akiko Nakayama
- NO.23 – Chen’Shun LEE
- SAKEA – 邱茂哲(Mao-Che Chiu)
- Seed Awakening – MaruTangle
- SOS! Back to Taiwan! – SOS!
- T・R・I・P – SAKI TAKEGAWA
- TECHNOVINEGAR – 0b4k3
- The Garden of Eden – Yiming Yang (Special thanks to Fabio Fidanza who made the sound”
- Alien Tokyo Sightseeing – Yuhi Namai
Winners will be announced on December 17th during the award ceremony, which will be streamed online through the NEWVIEW website. On top of the $20,000 USD grand prize, applicants can walk away with smaller prizes for individual categories.
Last year’s grand prize went to Takkun Museum, an experience created by a father for his son that uniquely portrayed the imaginations of children using the boy’s art; every sound and visual used in the grand-prize-winning experience was created by the son.
This year will also see the addition of the Sanrio Puroland PRIZE. The winner of this award will have their work displayed in an exhibition space provided at Sanri Puroland (Japan’s massive Hello Kitty-themed indoor amusement park that attracts over 1.5 million visitors per year). This will be offered in conjunction with “Digital KAWAII Award in Sanrio Puroland,” an AR award co-sponsored by Sanrio Puroland, operated by Sanrio Entertainment, Inc. and Psychic VR Lab, the provider of the XR creative platform STYLY.
For more information on the 2020 awards and each finalist, visit the NEWVIEW website. Those interested can check out each experience free via the Styly app.
World Collider / Image Credit: Tomo Kihara