Explore the zombie-ridden streets of Racoon City in VR using the following mods.
This past October, Capcom released an official VR remake of its legendary action-horror game Resident Evil 4 on Meta Quest headsets. The game was an immediate hit among both players and critics, offering one of the most satisfying single-player VR experiences of 2021. But what about the rest of the games in Capcom’s iconic horror franchise? Will we ever get the chance to skulk the frightening halls of the Racoon City Police Department in VR?
The answer is yes! Thanks to the incredible efforts of a modder by the name of praydog, you can now experience Resident Evil 2 and Resident Evil 3 on any PC VR headset compatible with the SteamVR platform. You can play through the entirety of each single-player campaign in VR with support for motion controls. This includes guns as well as grenades. There’s even physical knife damage, allowing you to physically stab your way through zombies.
Suffice to say, you will need to own the games as well as a VR-ready PC in order to play in VR. The modding process itself is fairly straightforward. Here’s how to get started:
- Download and install Resident Evil 2 and/or Resident Evil 3 on Steam.
- Download and install SteamVR and follow the on-screen instructions to setup your preferred PC VR headset.
- Visit GitHub and download the zip file for RE2 and/or RE3.
- Extract the file from each zip file into their respective game install folders.
And that’s it. As previously stated, there’s full motion controller support as well as realistic weapon collision. Even the cutscenes have been rendered in 3D, which is a step up from Resident Evil 4 VR’s 2D cutaway scenes. You can find a full of the new features below (as provided by praydog):
- A fleshed out scripting system using Lua (check the wiki!)
- Generic 6DOF VR support to RE7, RE2, RE3, RE8, DMC5, and MHRISE
- Full motion controls in RE2 and RE3 (when using FirstPerson, it is not enabled by default)
- Physical knife damage in RE2/RE3
- Physical grenade throwing in RE2/RE3
- Early WIP motion controls for RE8
The mod also includes basic 6DoF VR support for Resident Evil 7 and Resident Evil 8, though these experiences aren’t as fleshed out as their RE2 and RE3 counterparts.
Feature Image Credit: Capcom