Technology meets entertainment this June as AT&T brings a variety of demos and speakers to Warner Bros. Studios.
Los Angeles is once again the place to be this June as the AT&T SHAPE immersive event returns to gather the latest and greatest technology, content and influential voices for yet another two days of nonstop demos, interactive exhibits and fascinating conversations with some of the brightest minds in the field of immersive entertainment.
This year is shaping up to be a veritable smorgasbord of virtual and augmented exhibits, blurring the line of reality with technology that often goes beyond just a headset. This includes everything from a full visual effects studio, and drone and filming technology, to full body/facial motion capture, advancements in 5G, and of course plenty of VR and AR.
Some of these highlights include:
- Fulldome Pro – A social VR experience that ditches the conventional headset in favor of a shared 360 projection dome.
- KUKUA – KUKA Robotics partner with Motorized Precision to showcase the game-changing benefits of their KIRA 2.0 cinema robotic automation system on the current motion picture capture process.
- Open the Portal – A collaboration between Mirror Rorrom, Electronic Countermeasure, and Open the Portal in which a stop motion character escorts you through a one-of-a-kind hall of mirrors which alters your image before your very eyes while simultaneously leaving you pondering the future of technology and your place in it.
- Red – One of the biggest names in digital cinematography manufacturing stops by with a host of movies, games and various other bits of content all running on their soon-to-be-released, powerhouse of a smartphone – the RED Hydrogen One.
- AT&T Interactive Demos led by NYFA award-winning instructors – Ever wonder what it’s like to squeeze into a motion capture suit and act out your own digital scenes or even control animatronics? Well wonder know more as AT&T is giving you that exact opportunity with live motion and facial capture workshops run by NYFA award-winning educators. You can also try your hand at creating your own VFX using professional green screens as well as cutting-edge visual effects software. Or just kick back and watch some live Twitch streaming.
There will also be an impressive series of live talks with “visionary speakers” as they delve deeper into the massive implications new technology such as mixed reality, emerging network tech, blockchain and interactive storytelling are having on current, traditional media.
Some of these voices include Ava DuVernay, director of two-time Academy Award-winning film Selma, Brian Krzanich, Chief Executive Officer at Intel, Issa Rae, Golden Globe-nominated actress best known for her role in her HBO series Insecure, Brian McLean, Academy Award-nominated visual effects artist famous for his contributions to Kubo and the Two Strings as well as his pioneering work in the use of 3D printing for the development of stop-motion characters, and many other incredibly talented artists, engineers, entrepreneurs and specialists.
As always SHAPE will be home to a handful of competitions for aspiring developers, creators, and filmmakers. AT&T Create-a-thon returns once again for another round of intense filmmaking action as teams battle it out for the title of “Best Short Film.” The really cool part however is the select access to the Warner Bros. Studio backlot as well as a sweet $10,000 cash prize. And of course there’s the AT&T Film Awards, another short film competition that instead highlights the use of emerging technologies in a production. For this competition voters can choose their favorite projects to help decide who’ll take home a combined $60,000 in prizes. All of which taking place in front of a live audience as well as a panel of respected judges.
Of course you could always just skip the chaos and go straight for a captivating Warner Bros. Studio tour where you’ll explore outdoor production venues used to create hit shows such as Gilmore Girls, The Big Bang Theory and Argo. You can even walk through the actual Central Perks coffee shop set from Friends as well as the original Bat Museum, home to the iconic Batmobile Collection.
It all happens this June 2-3 at Warner Bros. Studio, Los Angeles. For more information on scheduling and registration, head over to the official AT&T SHAPE website. Use code ‘SHAPEVR’ for free tickets (limited amount).
Image Credit: AT&T SHAPE / Fulldome Pro